The beer was brewed at Kungholmstorg in Stockholm back in 1859 and there is no doubt that the characteristic taste had its origins from the capital; the water was pumped up from Riddarfjärden to the brewery. The new beer had been inspired by the Bavarian brewery traditions and, although the beer achieved some success at the start, it was not until the 1870s that great success came when the Stockholm profile and brewmaster Calle P (Carl Magnus Peterson) made their mark on the brew.
Several varieties saw the light of day and in addition to Bavarian beers, English beers, Swedish beers, Sugar drinks, Weak drinks, Ice-cold drinks, Porters, “Skänköl” and “Spillöl” were launched. The popular drinks were also distributed to Oscar II’s court and towards the end of the 1870s the brewery was named Royal Court supplier. Around the turn of the century, St Eriks was the biggest beer in Stockholm and the success was crowned with a stately expansion of the brewery where the brand’s logo was to adorn the entire southern facade.